[Skip to content]

.

Beverley Area Walks

The table below contains information on all walks centred in the beverley area. Click on any walk's name or reference code to see more details on the walk, including photos and a route map.

 

Return to the Find Walks page

  

C80 - Behind the Mere to Halfpenny Gate
Summary
Walk Name
Behind the Mere to Halfpenny Gate
Ref
C80
Enjoy a former parkland walk from the narrow paths of Walkington.
Details
Circular Walk
Yes
Grade
Easy
Walk Type
  • Easy Walks
  • Pub Walks
Ordnance Survey Explorer Map
293
Car Parking Facility
Roadside parking in Walkington, or The Ferguson Fawcett (patrons only)
Refreshments
Shop and pubs in Walkington
Public Conveniences
Beverley, various
Distance
Distance (Miles)
3
Distance (Kilometres)
5
Description
  • From the Ferguson Fawcett walk eastwards past the Mere and immediately take the path around and behind the water.
  • Continue along the path to, and across, Northgate into Manorhouse Lane.
  • Turn left into Middlehowe Green and take the narrow path near the junction with Hall Walk.
  • At West End turn left and walk to Kirk  Lane.  Turn right at the end and head along the road to Risby Lane.  (If you would prefer a narrower path, walk past kirk Lane for a few yards to Church Walk and head past the church). 
  • Then turn right to reach Risby Lane, the bridleway leading to Risby Park.
  • Head southwards along the bridleway to Halfpenny Gate Cottages.
  • Just past the cottages (the boundary between Walkington and Rowley parishes) turn left along the track around Keepers Cottage.
  • Leave the track to follow the path on the the left  and pass by Walkington Plantation and through Walkington Park.
  • When you reach the houses backing onto All Hallows Road, turn right and take the path alongside the playing fields and school to another path on the left. 
  • Follow this path to Meadow Drive, and streets to return to the start.
Map(s)
Location
Start Point
East End, Walkington, near the Ferguson Fawcett
End Point
East End, Walkington
Towns & Villages
Walkington
ParishWalkington
Start Easting
499776
Start Northing
437094
End Easting
499776
End Northing
437094
Further Information
Features of Interest
All Hallows Church, Walkington, is an unusual church, worth discovering in its 'hideaway' location at the southern edge of the village.  It was restored in 1898-99 by Temple Moor who lowered the floor to its original level.  It is quite a step down into the well-lit interior which has retained its south doorway and transept arches dating from around 1200.  Most of its medieval windows survive, including the five-light Perpendicular east window filled with stained glass by Harry Harvey in 1970.
Accessibility Information
This route:- 
 
- Is relatively flat. 
 
- Contains a mixture of gates and stiles. 
 
- May contain livestock.
Additional Information
There was a settlement at Walkington as far back as the Bronze Age - recent excavations of burial sites prove this. Yet, paradoxically, most of the real history of the village has unfolded during the past 30 years or so. 
 
Walkington 50 years ago was a quiet farming village, an isolated, self-contained community. A day trip to Hull, or the annual Sunday school trip to Bridlington, were events to which the villagers looked forward with eager anticipation. 
 
The sadly-missed Walkington Victorian Hayride was a lively period procession through the surrounding countryside to Beverley.  A window into Victorian life, it was one of the longest parades of horse-drawn vehicles in England. Placid heavy horses pulled haywagons and drays, ponies hitched to stylish gigs and traps, and villagers, many on foot, wearing  Victorian costumes accompanied the parade through the East Yorkshire countryside.  It was a fun day for participants and the general public who used to line the route to watch it pass by.  And all for charity.