[Skip to content]

.

Goole and Howdenshire Area Walks

The table below contains information on all walks centred in the goole and howdenshire area. Click on any walk's name or reference code to see more details on the walk, including photos and a route map.

 

Return to the Find Walks page

 

Snaith Heritage Walk 9 Barge on the Canal
Summary
Walk Name
Heritage Walks - Walk 9
Ref
The Tow Path

This is one of fifteen HERITAGE WALKS in and around the villages of Pollington, Rawcliffe and Rawcliffe Bridge as well as Snaith & Cowick township.  Each of the walks passes at least one of fifteen HERITAGE BOARDS that explain a little of the rich history and heritage of the area.

 

An easy walk – Road and canal side walking with two short gradients to enter and exit the canal bank. 2 stiles.

 

A short  but pleasant introduction to the rural village of Pollington.

 

For more information on these Heritage Walks visit the website:

Snaith and Cowick Together

Details
Circular Walk
Yes
Grade
Easy
Walk Type
  • Easy Walks
Ordnance Survey Explorer Map
279
Car Parking Facility
Free parking at start at Pollington Social Centre, Main Street, Pollington DN14 0DW Map reference SE 617196
Refreshments
Public house and restaurant in Pollington
Public Conveniences
No public toilets
Distance
Distance (Miles)
2
Distance (Kilometres)
3.2
Description

 

  • Leave Social Centre Car Park, turn right on Main Street.
  • Turn left Bridge Lane.
  • On Canal bridge, left down canal towpath.
  • HERITAGE BOARD near lock then style and grass bank path.
  • On reaching Crow Croft Bridge, go under and then sharp right to gate and style.
  • Turn right over bridge and down Crow Croft Lane.
  • Turn left East End and left on Main Street back to car park.
Map(s)
Location
Start Point
Pollington Social Centre
End Point
Pollington Social Centre
Towns & Villages
Pollington
ParishSnaith and Cowick
Further Information
Features of Interest
• Before leaving the car park, take time to read about the history and heritage of Pollington  on the HERITAGE BOARD. 
• Walking along Bridge Lane towards the canal bridge note the last house on the right at the side of the bridge.  Originally a farm, they also sold ale to visiting sailors after the canal was built. We understand it was called The Jolly Sailor. 
• Before descending from the canal bridge to the canal side you have good views of the National School and Pollington Church, both built by Viscount Downe of Snaith in 1853/4. 
• The Aire and Calder Canal extension to Goole was built circa 1824- 1826, bringing new forms of employment to Pollington. The canal lock was enlarged in 1970 to its present size and is now the largest lock on the waterway system. See the canal side HERITAGE BOARD. 
• On returning to the Main Street note Orchard House on the right, formerly Orchard Farm and one of the oldest surviving houses in Pollington. A little further along on the left, look for the house which was formerly the ‘Spread Eagle’ public house, one of three public houses in Victorian Pollington, it later became Marshall’s General Store before being changed to a residential house.