[Skip to content]

.

Goole and Howdenshire Area Walks

The table below contains information on all walks centred in the goole and howdenshire area. Click on any walk's name or reference code to see more details on the walk, including photos and a route map.

 

Return to the Find Walks page

 

15 - Broomfleet Circular or Broomfleet-Blacktoft Linear
Summary
Walk Name
Broomfleet Circular or Broomfleet - Blacktoft Linear
Ref
C15
Take a linear walk between two isolated villages, or enjoy a circular walk in Broomfleet - the choice is yours!
Details
Circular Walk
Yes
Grade
Easy
Walk Type
  • Easy Walks
Ordnance Survey Explorer Map
291
Car Parking Facility
Roadside parking in Blacktoft, Broomfleet and Faxfleet
Refreshments
Pubs in Blacktoft and Broomfleet
Public Conveniences
St. Helen's Square in Howden
Distance
Distance (Miles)
7.9
Distance (Kilometres)
12.8
Description
  • The linear walk begins at the remote village of Broomfleet (four miles south west of South Cave) and runs to Blacktoft, an even more remote village.  Use the map to follow the route alongside the river.
  • As an alternative, use the map to enjoy a short circular walk in Broomfleet.
Map(s)
Location
Start Point
Blacktoft, Broomfleet and Faxfleet
End Point
Blacktoft, Broomfleet and Faxfleet
Towns & Villages
Blacktoft, Broomfleet, Faxfleet and Yokefleet
ParishBroomfleet
Start Easting
487,907.00
Start Northing
427,063.00
End Easting
487,907.00
End Northing
427,063.00
Further Information
Features of Interest
-  Opposite Faxfleet, the Trent meets the Ouse to form the mighty river Humber.  You will see many ships plying their trade to Goole and ports on the Trent. 
 
-  Broomfleet takes its name from the Anglo-Saxon 'Brungareflet' meaning Brungar's tidal stream.  The Market Weighton canal was built in 1780 to serve two purposes: to drain the marshy area of Wallingfen on which the locals had a right to graze animals, and to allow ships to navigate to Market Weighton.  The canal also promoted the growth of the local brick-making industry.  Many of the old clay pits are now stocked with fish and combine with the local pub to make the area a mecca for anglers.  The lock gates were built in 1773, and are scheduled as an ancient monument.   
Many years ago, the lock head boasted a dozen houses, the Board Inn and a grocer's shop.   
 
-  Faxfleet is a small hamlet where you can enjoy excellent views of Trent Falls.  In the Middle Ages it was a stopping-off place and had a ferry across the river.  In 1339 Faxfleet was licensed as a place of transhipment for boots too large to reach York and in 1342 was one of the "ports and maritime places" to which royal letters were directed.  This remote and now virtually unpopulated hamlet was visited by the King in 1303, 1323 and 1407.   
 
-  In 1888 Blacktoft was described by a Customs man as "a place where grave mischief may break out at any time".  This was due to the existence of a jetty where ships used to moor if they could not make the journey from Hull to Goole or Selby in one tide.  Today ships still tie up at the new jetty when river conditions are unfavourable and it is not uncommon to see Russian and Dutch seamen in the remote and lonely village inn, the Hope and Anchor.  According to the landlord, "grave mischief" still breaks out! 
Accessibility Information
This route:- 
 
-  is relatively flat. 
 
-  contains a mixture of stiles and gates.