[Skip to content]

.

Market Weighton Area Walks

The table below contains information on all walks centred in the market weighton area. Click on any walk's name or reference code to see more details on the walk, including photos and a route map.

 

Return to the Find Walks page

 

W29 - Market Weighton to Londesborough Circular
Summary
Walk Name
Market Weighton to Londesborough Circular
Ref
W29
Enjoy a walk over the western edge of the Wolds, along field paths and through a former deer park.
Details
Circular Walk
Yes
Grade
Moderate
Walk Type
  • Top 10 Walks for Visitors
  • Wolds Walks
Ordnance Survey Explorer Map
294
Car Parking Facility
Car park on Londesborough Road in Market Weighton
Refreshments
Pubs and shops in Market Weighton
Public Conveniences
Londesborough Road in Market Weighton
Distance
Distance (Miles)
7
Distance (Kilometres)
11
Description
  • From the car park walk through the wrought iron arch onto York Road and turn right.  Continue until you reach the last house on your right and see a kissing gate into the fields.
  • Follow the path across the field and then alongside a ditch until you reach the A614 road.  Cross the road and walk down the drive to Towthorpe Grange.
  • Go straight through a field gate and onto a path that passes along the field edge.  (This can be very muddy after heavy rain.)
  • Cross the road and turn left.  Shortly after take a path alongside a lodge.
  • Through the gate and into the parkland, follow the track to a junction of paths.
  • Bear left towards Londesborough village if you wish to have a look around.  The church of All Saints is certainly worth a visit.
  • If not, shortly after bearing left, take a path on your right along the Yorkshire Wolds Way to cross a footbridge over a ford between the lakes.
  • Continue up the gentle gradient to a gate and a farm road.  Follow the road to the point where it turns sharp right, but carry straight on to the road.
  • Cross the road with care and enter the layby opposite.  Follow the Wolds Way signs along a track which leads under the old Market Weighton-Driffield railway line into Goodmanham.
  • Still following the Wolds Way signs, walk uphill at the church.  Next turn right to go downhill along a narrow lane towards Springwells.
  • At the junction with the Hudson Way turn right and walk back to Market Weighton.
Map(s)
Location
Start Point
Market Weighton
End Point
Market Weighton
Towns & Villages
Goodmanham, Londesborough and Market Weighton
ParishMarket Weighton
Start Easting
487,653.00
Start Northing
441,798.00
End Easting
487,653.00
End Northing
441,798.00
Further Information
Features of Interest
Market Weighton is a small but busy market town at the junction of 5 roads. It also stood at the junction of 4 rail lines before Dr. Beeching discovered his interest in rail lines, and promptly closed them! The Yorkshire Giant, William Bradley, who weighed 27 stones and stood 7 feet 9 inches tall lived in the town and his 'foot print' can be seen on his house wall at the western end of the village. 
 
The walk follows the "Wolds Way" alternative route along field headlands to Towthorpe, then along a track past one of numerous deserted Medieval villages on the Wolds to Londesborough Park. All that remains of Towthorpe is the site of the fish ponds, the site of a moated house, the line of the former streets and an air of 
mystery. The present Londesborough Hall was built in the Tudor style in l839 and replaced the former hall which stood 1/4 mile to the west and was demolished in 1818 after years of neglect. Londesborough village is a neat attractive estate village and is well worth a visit. On the line of the path near Easthorpe Farm was the site of another medieval village, which was mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086. Some medieval villages were 'depopulated' by the Black Death or soil exhaustion but Easthorpe was 'depopulated' because of the expansion of Londesborough deer park by Lord Burlington, the last five cottages being demolished in 1738. 
 
Londesborough stands on the line of the Roman road from Lincoln to Malton and is believed to be the former Roman camp of Delgovitia. Remains of the road were found in 1740 in the form of 24 foot wide wheel tracks and further evidence was unearthed in 1865 when the lake was cleaned out. 
 
Follow the paths over the parkland, then the "Wolds Way" past the picnic area to the picturesque village of Goodmanham. It is hard to believe that this sleepy village once housed the chief cathedral of the Saxon god Woden, and that the building of the Minster at York owes its existence to the conversion of King Edwin of Northumbria to Christianity at Goodmanham in AD 627. If believing gets too hard, ponder over a pint of real ale at the unspoilt village inn. From Goodmanham follow the road, then rail line to return to Market Weighton. Halfway along is an ancient well said to have been used by the Romans. The well was restored in 1986 by the Market Weighton Girl Guides who subsequently won a major "Keep Britain Tidy" award.
Accessibility Information
This route:- 
 
-  contains some steep slopes. 
 
-  contains kissing gates and hand gates but no stiles. 
 
-  may involve walking through fields with livestock. 
 
-  crosses at least one road.