Civil partnerships

If you wish to book, postpone or bring forward an existing booking please contact us:

Email: registration.service@eastriding.gov.uk

COVID-19 Service Information

Marriage/Civil Partnerships

The email address for East Riding Registration Services is: registration.service@eastriding.gov.uk.


Please speak to your venue to discuss capacity for your chosen room as this may have changed since you booked your ceremony and may be dependent on any restrictions the venue has put in place to keep their staff and you safe.

Approved Premises

Ceremonies will now revert back to their pre-Covid content which you will have been supplied with at the time of you giving notice of intention to marriage/form a civil partnership. 

Outside Legal Ceremonies (this is a temporary service until April 2022)

This option is very new as from 1 July 2021 and are only allowed if your chosen venue has formally contacted the Superintendent Registrar and identified areas where such standard ceremonies can take place and an agreement is undertaken between the venue and the registration services.

The capacity for this type of standard ceremonies would be between couples and the venue but it must be remembered that if the weather is inclement and the ceremony needs to take place inside, only the number of persons stated on the venues licence would be allowed in the licenced room for the standard legal ceremony. No delay to the ceremony start time can be incurred as the registrars have other ceremonies then need to attend.

Local Authority Ceremony Venues

In order to keep staff and the public as safe as possible the decision has been made by the local authority to reduce the capacity for all our ceremony rooms.  The content has reverted to that offered pre-Covid.

Please contact the registrars if you have any query regarding your booking.

The email address for East Riding Registration Services is: registration.service@eastriding.gov.uk.

What are civil partnerships?

Civil partnerships are the government's approach to giving similar rights to same sex couples as those enjoyed by married heterosexual (opposite sex) couples. In 2013, UK Government passed legislation for same sex couples to get married.

Read more on the differences between civil partnerships and marriage at: eastridingceremonies.co.uk (council website).

How do I arrange a civil partnership?

To start planning your civil partnership or wedding please visit www.eastridingceremonies.co.uk (external East Riding website).

What surname do I use after I have entered into a civil partnership?

A person may want to take his/her partner’s surname when they form their civil partnership. The civil partnership certificate can be used as proof of his/her new name. Many government agencies will accept this as adequate proof. However, some private companies, for example, a bank, may ask for a different standard of proof.

How would someone end a civil partnership?

A civil partnership will come to an end if you or your civil partner dies. If you want to end your civil partnership before one of you dies, you need to get permission from a court. There are different ways you can ask a court to end your civil partnership. You can ask the court to grant:

  • a dissolution order. Your civil partnership must have lasted for at least one year before you can apply for a dissolution order. a separation order. You don't have to wait until your civil partnership has lasted for a year before you can apply for a separation order
  • you can apply for a separation order at any time
  • an annulment.

Can we renew our civil partnership vows at a later date?

Yes, we can provide a bespoke renewal of vows ceremony. To find our more, please visit www.eastridingceremonies.co.uk (external East Riding website)

Can we convert our civil partnership into a marriage?

Yes, as long as it was registered in England, Wales or Scotland. You have two options, a simple one stage procedure consisting of the preparation and signing of a declaration at any registration office. Or, in option 2, you can organise a celebratory ceremony following the written declaration. For more information on what is involved in both of these options, please visit www.eastridingceremonies.co.uk (external East Riding website)

What happens if I or my partner wish to transgender?

You must either end your civil partnership or convert it to a marriage. If you choose to convert your civil partnership into marriage, you must do so before you apply to the Gender Recognition Panel.

For full information, visit:

GOV.UK – Apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate (external website)

How can I licence my venue for ceremonies?

You can apply for an approved venue license if your venue meets certain conditions. Further information can be found on the approved premises for ceremonies page

Stay connected

Sign up for the latest news and updates from East Riding of Yorkshire Council.

We will use GovDelivery to send you emails, it is secure and you can choose to stop receiving emails at any time. Find out more in our Privacy notice.